I’m sure you’ll agree that safety of our sailors and parents, and the reputation of the Club, need to be our priority as we start our sailing season. The following routine is what we will follow to enable this to happen, please ensure you’re familiar with the protocols and support your sailor to adhere to these guidelines when at the Club:
- All briefings will be done either virtually prior to arriving at the clubor we can do briefings at the club while maintaining 2M distancing and face coverings to be worn.
- Debriefing will be done either virtually or via an email or at the club maintaining the 2m distance.
- Arrive at the Club ready to sail – no changing facilities are available
- Sign in using the Covid tracing app upon arrival
- Masks are compulsory at all times while ashore (they can be removed for sailors and coaches when they launch)
- One family per boat only – please ensure you are able to get your boat out of storage and back away after sailing while staying within your own family bubble
- Assess the rigging area and find a spot well away from other sailors when rigging (there will be pretty much no hands-on coach support – you’ll need to be able to rig yourself)
- Launching boats is also only able to be done within your family bubble and once the coach/s are on the water
- There will be no more than 10 people per sailing group (i.e. 9 sailors + coach)
- When sailors return to shore, it’s important to reverse this process – family retrieval, washdown and stacking – masks on for everyone when ashore
- There may not be a debrief, please check with your coaching team.
- Keep 2m separation from others outside your bubble at all times – please no gathering, this is especially important for our teens who won’t have seen each other for quite some time
- Parents – if you don’t need to wait around, preference is that you leave and then return to retrieve your sailor at the required time. The reps will stay in touch on TeamApp to let you know when to be back (if you’re not part of this sing out and we can add you over the next few days, please make sure you’ve got the app and have joined MBSC)
- Because we share the beach with the public, it’s also important that we’re mindful of keeping our distance and demonstrating that we’re being respectful of the rules
- Finally, if there is a safety incident, all the above goes out the window and we are all hands to the pump to ensure the safety of any individual.
Essentially, while coaching is kicking off, you can see from above that everyone needs to be very self-sufficient within their family bubbles and we’ll provide the coaching on the water.
If the weather is a bit adverse then please make a good decision based on your sailor’s level of experience about whether they attend or not. Coaches will have the final say as to whether sailors are able to sail in stronger conditions, as we need to avoid contact as much as possible.
There will be a new RSVP section in Team App for each training that needs to be answered as to Yes or No for the session. This not only helps with our planning for resources but also acts as a record keeping system for Covid requirements.
This week we have the following groups sailing, class reps will be in touch with each group to notify briefings/groups and exact launch and retrieval times.
Monday – Open Opti – Tiri Group Tuesday – Green Fleet Wednesday – P ClassThursday – Open Opti – Rangi, Laser & StarlingFriday – FreeSaturday Opti Open (am)Sunday Opti Green (am) and P Class (pm)
Just so you are aware due to Covid Restrictions the club has Learn to Sail, Adult Learn to Sail and Blue Fleet, and all double handed classes on hold until restrictions ease.
- The clubhouse will remain closed, except for the bunker and top deck area
- The changing rooms will remain closed so come prepared
- The tractor will be unavailable unless an emergency
- Console Rhibs not available yet
In the meantime, it’s great to be back, albeit under some trickier than usual conditions. Keep a watch out for further information over the coming weeks as things are changing on a weekly basis.
Please understand that we will be monitoring the situation to ensure our compliance with the guidelines and we will continually review our approach in line with updated advice from Government/MOH and advise members accordingly.
Respect the freedom that we have been given to sail, please don’t gather in groups, please don’t linger in the rigging areas to allow others to enjoy some space as well.